Tuesday, November 23, 2010 | By: Mali

Amidst the chaos


It's gearing up to be an eventful night, with the ongoing attacks and abductions rolling in. I send my best to all of you on the run, and I wish you all well - stay as safe as possible.

Since reports of masked people surrounding people's homes are filtering in, I decided to do some research googling about masks. I'm assuming that the masks were similar in design to the one on the right, otherwise the stuff below is fairly useless.

Because I think that the mask somewhat resembles a Chinese Opera Mask, I wanted to look up some information about them. I discovered that the masks were used to set the role of a character in the opera - the colors and shapes of the mask define those characteristics. They were typically ceramic and blank: the actors were generally expected to interpret their characters and design their mask. The color white symbolize(d) sinisterness, deception, crafty/cleverness and duplicity, among other things. The color black symbolize(d) roughness, fierceness, or impartiality, among other things.

Taking the (admittedly little) information presented above, the mask pictured might characterize someone who is clever, fierce and sinister OR someone who is "playing both sides" - a duplicitous person, maybe confused about their role or decision, but nonetheless rough and clever. Neither interpretation is particularly comforting, however maybe someone else can find a more positive spin.

Sorry for the dodgy "research" - I feel so bad that I can't actually help you guys. =/ Please, please be careful and try to stay safe.

*Edit: This is a horrifyingly late edit to state that the mask picture is not mine. It belongs to someone on the interwebs, I found it via google. Let me know if it's yours, and how you'd like to be credited, and I'd be happy to link you. Sorry about the late info! (11/28/10)

5 comments:

DiceArt said...

Thank you for your research I'm sure it will come in handy some how.

Mali said...

Oh, you're so welcome! I feel like it's fairly useless, to be honest, but I needed something to occupy my time while everyone was going through crises. I'm much better with direction - if there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to let me know.

I'm glad you're safe and sound, at least for the moment.

DiceArt said...

Also don't allow yourself to be pulled in like I did. I was just like you now it's looking like I'll have to start running soon.

Mali said...

This sounds so cliché, but what the hell: I'll be careful, I promise.

I'll eat those words in the future if I must. Right now I just want to provide a modicum of comfort to you all. Thank you for caring. :)

Razputine P. said...

Just would like to say. Wonderful research! It actually does make sense (the info you found) considering how the "Husks" or "Slender Proxies" all act.

I would like to express the same opinion as Will: Stay safe and don't get involved if you can help it.

I'm sure trying to stay out of it. X3

Stay safe,
Raz P.

Post a Comment